Florida Craftmen Seeking Executive Director
Florida Craftsmen, Inc., established in 1952, the premier, statewide non-profit fine craft organization headquartered in St. Petersburg, Florida, seeks an energetic, innovative and highly motivated Executive Director.
The ideal qualified candidate should exhibit strong leadership, administrative and communication capabilities to oversee a retail gallery/arts facility and to effectively communicate with a statewide Board of Directors, staff, donors, volunteers and customers.
A Bachelor’s degree is required, a Masters in Business or Public Administration is a plus. Pertinent and meaningful experience may substitute for education, including prior employment or knowledge of fine craft and craft artists.
A minimum of five years experience in visual arts programming, administration, fundraising and grants management is preferred. Candidates should have excellent budget and fiscal management skills. Excellent speaking and written communication skills are essential.
Although candidates must possess a commitment to arts and culture, all professional backgrounds will be considered.
The candidate should demonstrate skill and experience in most of the following areas:
1. Knowledge of principals of administrative management, including organization, staffing, strategic planning and marketing skills;
2. Budget development and responsible financial management with working knowledge of non-profit fiscal management;
3. Significant experience garnering and managing private and corporate contributions, fundraising and fundraising events;
4. Evidence of successful grant writing experience, grants administration and contracts management;
5. Facility management;
6. At least three years of board management experience;
7. Demonstrated ability in interpersonal relations including public speaking, written and oral communication;
8. Experience with quality exhibitions and fine crafts fair scheduling, planning and execution;
9. Ability to oversee a permanent collection;
10. Knowledge of current office systems, including computers with word processing, spreadsheet, database, inventory software and communication systems;
11. Oversee organizational website;
12. Communication with statewide area director representatives, including occasional travel to cities within the state of Florida to help organize and promote artistic, educational programs;
13. Possesses the ability to work harmoniously, maintaining professional relationships and community leadership role with representatives of arts and cultural organizations locally, statewide, regionally and nationally.
Please mail a cover letter, resume with salary history and a statement of qualifications, two writing samples and three references (name, address and phone number) to:
If selected for an interview, college transcripts may be requested. No phone calls or faxes, please. All materials must be postmarked or delivered no later than May 15, 2004. Salary and benefits compensation will be competitive with comparable organizations and similar annual budgets in this region.
The Florida Craftsmen organization, based in St. Petersburg on Florida’s gulf coast, serves a membership of 1,000+ artists and supporters with a staff of 3 full-time and 4 part-time employees, a local volunteer base of 50 individuals, and a $600,000 annual budget.
Educational and visual arts programming is statewide with exhibitions and programs originating in the Tampa Bay area. Current programming includes an annual, statewide competitive exhibition and weekend conference; an annual fine crafts fair; a respected exhibition gallery featuring regional and national artists; related traveling exhibitions; a growing permanent collection; scholarship and educational components and a thriving retail gallery/sales operation featuring 125+ Florida fine craft artists; and a quarterly newsletter.